Thursday 23 June 2011

My sister lives on the mantlepiece

I have in my posession a signed copy of this book by Annabel Pitcher, of course, at the minute it is on loan to one of my aunts. I finished it yesterday on the 22nd of June, and I loved it.

It was very sad, but it was also very sweet, not to mention quite realistic, though as far as my knowledge goes not based on the truth, but I may be mistaken.

Jamie's elder sister died when he was young, so whilst all the family mourn her, and his parents split up over the blame, his mum running off with a grief counsellor, he remembers nothing of his sister, so cannot feel sad for the loss of something he doesn't remember, which is completely understandable in my opinion.
 His sister Rose died in a terrorist bombing in London, so like you do his father takes out his anger on ALL muslim's, so even Jamie feels he should hate them, but that doesn't stop him from beecoming best friends with a girl called Sunya.

  The book describes Jamie's family through their journey of acceptance, and the trials of overcoming grief, it is a very touching tale.

I have only read the book once, and the first time I read a book is only for enjoyment purposes, but because I did enjoy this book, I don't want to read it a second time to look for weaknesses, as I do for all books, I like to study literature to help my own writing improve.

If you didn't gt it, the title comes from her ashes being on the mantlepiece in an urn.

No comments:

Post a Comment